Scholastic Chess Club
OSOTA Chess in partnership with Orlando Chess Academy is a fluid opportunity for chess players to grow in chess. We strive to help shape a unique chess identity and to provide turning point resources and progressive opportunities as our players' abilities change & skill levels improve.
Serving Central Florida
Grades K- 12
Chess Club at OSOTA
OSOTA Chess meets Tuesdays from 4pm - 5:15pm at One School of the Arts in Grace Center. OSOTA Chess is open to beginner, intermediate and advanced chess players of all ages, from any school. Chess club provides a technical training in chess while keeping the focus on the game, the fun, the skills, and etiquette required for tournament level playing. We are a certified United States Chess Federation Club.
Our focus as a club is to educate, equip, and encourage scholars to play in tournaments to strengthen their chess skills, and improve their USCF chess ranking. Additionally, each year, we desire to take a group of scholars to compete at the USCF's K-12 National Scholastic Grade Championships held at the end of the year.
Our most confident and skillful players are invited to compete at Nationals while developing players may compete at local tournaments sponsored by OCA.
- Open House Registration: Monday, September 25th (Learn More About Our Program and Meet Coaches)
- Parent Meeting: Tuesday, September 26th (Learn about What to Expect)
- Fall Semester: October 3rd - November 28th (payment due by Sept 24th)
- K-12th National Scholastic Championship: December 8-10, Orlando, FL.
- Winter Semester: January 9th - February 27th (payment due by December 19th)
- Florida State Scholastic Championship: March 2018
- Spring Semester: March 6th - May 29th (payment due by February 24th)
- Beginners are taught the basics such as piece names, development, and opening moves.
- The Beginner Chess Club is designed for students who are new to the game of chess. Students will learn the basic rules of the game and play chess against their peers to develop their familiarity with the game.
- Intermediate I and II are introduced to tactics, and furthering their knowledge of the basics of chess.
The Intermediate chess club is structured for students who are already comfortable with the rules of the game and have a desire to further develop their chess skills. Students will focus on learning and applying tactical patterns and basic opening principles to their games. They will also play chess with their peers in a structured environment (aside from learning, playing time is a crucial aspect of improvement in chess).
All Intermediate students are encouraged to compete in OCA's monthly scholastic chess tournaments to gain experience in competition.
- Advanced players may enroll in a more rigorous program.
The Advanced class is structured for students who want to further strengthen their chess skills. Focuses of this class include building opening repertoires, improving tactical vision, and learning must-know endgames.
All Advanced students are encouraged to compete in our monthly scholastic chess tournaments to gain experience in competition.
50% off Sibling Discounts are available. Refunds are not available for missed days. If there is a normal cancellation, families will be contacted via email within 48 hours. Emergency 24 hours.
- Chess Club - Beginner // Fall Semester $64, Winter Semester $64, Spring Semester $88
- Chess Club - Intermediate // Fall Semester $80, Winter Semester $80, Spring Semester $110
- Chess Club - Advanced // Fall Semester $96, Winter Semester $96, Spring Semester $132
- Chess Club - Beginner // Fall Semester $90, Winter Semester $80, Spring Semester $110
- Chess Club - Intermediate // Fall Semester $96, Winter Semester $96, Spring Semester $132
- Chess Club - Advanced // Fall Semester $112, Winter Semester $112, Spring Semester $154
Choose Your Program
Click on Product for Description and Details. Add to Cart. Complete Form. Then Check Upper Right Corner for Shopping Bag to Complete.
Chess on Campus
Chess at OSOTA has its own heartbeat. Scholars play scholars. Teachers play teachers. Scholars play teachers. There is always a chess game happening on campus, with plenty of competitive spirit to be found.
We provide both weekly chess classes during school, and OSOTA Chess, our weekly chess club, provides a one-of-a-kind, three-level chess program after school where scholars and chess players from across Central Florida can play other kids their own age, and learn the necessary skills to compete regularly at local competitions, state, and national competitions.
OSOTA Chess is a fluid opportunity for chess families, promising to help shape a unique chess identity and to grow as scholars' abilities change, especially through our partnership with Orlando Chess Academy.
We are a USCF affilliated club, and we strive to ensure all players have USCF ranking.
Mrs. Rhonda Adorno runs the OSOTA Chess Club which has been meeting Tuesdays after school since 2015. The club meets for a weekly combination of chess training and structured practice games, and has an annual goal to take teams of scholars to the Florida State Scholastic Championship and the USCF's K-12 National Scholastic Grade Championships held in December of each year.
We simply love to play chess. Chess, even in the serious tournaments we play, is absolutely fun.
We welcome school age chess players from around the community, and will determine if they are a good fit for our three-level program.
We invite players who are motivated, kind, encouraging, and possess tremendous character, which is part of the unique educational approach of One School of the Arts.
We have a growing group of 20 players, and great coaches, including chess director, Rhonda Adorno, Mr. Kevin Sibbitt, Camille, and Brandon from Orlando Chess Academy, Daniel Glidewell and FIDE Master, Dalton Perrine and tournament coach, Mr. Teddy Rodriguez, who each provide additional instruction for our one-of-kind, three chess program.
Awards and Achievements
2017 Florida State Champions
K-3 Divison Second Place
K- 5 Division 4th Place
K -8 Division 5th Place
K- 8 Division - 1st Place
2016 USCF National Scholastic Championship
Top 10 Player in the State
2017 Florida State Scholastic Championship
Orlando Chess Academy + OSOTA Chess
2016 Competitive Team
Fl. State Scholastic Championships
2017 Competitive Team
Florida State Scholastic Championships
2017-2018 OSOTA CHESS + OCA